Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Ambystoma maculatum x Ambystoma mexicanum

Icarez

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot on this forum about cross breeding
I got offered to take in 6 maculatum for free because apparently he is tired of the hobby
I am going to take them ofcourse :D

Would cross breeding these species be possible?
And would some of the larvea stay neotenic? or will they just all grow out to be land salamanders?

I would love some links to other articles to read about or maybe some forum threads :)

Cheers

Neil C

Reaction score
I imagine that the maculatum are terrestrial and your axolotls will be aquatic. How are you planning to mate them??

Please keep them seperate and enjoy them for the gorgeous seperate species they are.

Regards Neil

Icarez

Reaction score
Ofcourse they are kept seperate :p I'm not doing anything untill I have every little peice of info I need
I was just wondering if these species were compatible, and I don't know how to mate them, that's more or less the question :p
I was thinking maybe the maculatum also made spermpiles? (Spermaphores?) wich can be put into the water where an Axolotl can run over them and get fertilized?
But then again, I have no idea how this has even been done by others
And I was actually most interrested in if the offspring of this will be salamander or axolotl? or mixed?

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's more than introducing a spermatophore. There's a little bit of courtship involved. Just putting spermatorphores into an axolotl's tank doesn't guarantee you'll get fertilization.

And further, WHY would you want to do this? Hybridization is never to the benefit of either species.

Icarez

Reaction score
Well I never said I really wanted to do it, I'm well aware that it's not benficial, I'm just trying to get a better understanding about species, family and order

Anyways, thanks for the info

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
Probably not likely with one terrestrial and one aquatic.

Definetly not recommended. Even if you could get them to breed by some miracle you are looking at offspring that may not morph correctly or could be deformed. And if they morph into terrestrial they could also have issues. You just may end up with a clutch full of special needs Ambystoma you have to care for or euthanize.

Joep

Reaction score
I imagine that the maculatum are terrestrial and your axolotls will be aquatic. How are you planning to mate them??

Please keep them seperate and enjoy them for the gorgeous seperate species they are.

this mix will be very important!!never heard of!!
please tell us what happened!!
morphing is not so bad,they will go back in water in spring
imagine,a spotted axo!!

Joep

Reaction score
in the wild,the ambystoma`s also use subspecies,when a mate is not around,offspring will have most of there own genes,its a survivingmethode,they are masters in it,like reparing missing limbs etc

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1