Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Once again I found myself looking through 'For Sale ' adds...and saw a couple of these advertised. Being weak willed, I could not resist.
These are a few years old, and I believe they have been happily fending for them selves in his greenhouse. I am not yet sure of their sexes. These will eventually be living outdoors.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 1,957
Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Ambystoma maculatum

Wow, those are some fat sallies xD
Don´t worry, Julia, if it´s any consolation, we all have the will power of a slime mold...
They look fantastic, and i think i see a pair! People have been having good success breeding these outdoors, so i can´t wait for you to show us their future breeding center.

Last edited:

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score

Once again I found myself looking through 'For Sale ' adds...and saw a couple of these advertised. Being weak willed, I could not resist.
These are a few years old, and I believe they have been happily fending for them selves in his greenhouse. I am not yet sure of their sexes. These will eventually be living outdoors.

The salamander in the upper part of the photo looks like a big girl for sure!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks gentlemen, I do hope they are a pair. When I first saw them I thought they where both the same sex, no idea which though. One is much chunkier than the other, but I wasn't sure if that was because it is greedier.

grius

Reaction score

Of course you can't resist something that nice. Congrats Julia.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I went to check on these three this afternoon and found one in its water bowl, which had a thin layer of ice. One of the others was by the bowl but ran for cover as soon as I took off the lid.

Attachments

• P1030401.jpg
    P1030401.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,233

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

I´m not that familiar with ambystomatids, but looks to me like the pictures of breeding A.maculatum photos i´ve seen. I´m thinking male in breeding mode, Julia, you might want to offer a bigger water bowl!

MarioR

Reaction score

Looks very good!
Normally they don't enter the water outside breeding season - so, breeding season started already :p

A layer of ice is no problem, but the water should be deeper them. It might be a problem when all the solved oxygen in the water is depleted.
It might be better to heat the water up to 3-5°C.

Regards,
Mario

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I went back later and added more water as I wondered if he had got trapped in there, but no, he had climbed out.I was hoping this was a good indication of potential breeding. I'll have another look tomorrow and hopefully he will be back. If not do you think it may be worth putting them in another tank with only water?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

A few days ago I found two of them back in water.....and look what I found today . This is me -----> :eek::D

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,164

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Congratulations Julia!! That´s fantastic!
I hope they develop nicely and that you´ll end up with many, many juveniles. The ranks of CB maculatum swell!! Muahahahaha!
Really, kudos to you, what amazing news :)

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Despite lots of staring and hoping, there has been no change in the eggs, it looks like the eggs are infertile.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 797

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score

What a shame! Still, its a lot of progress getting eggs. Maybe next year with a bigger water area.....

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

These eggs have caused me more trauma than anyone could imagine. I have thought they were infertile but I hopefully have a few that will now survive to hatching.
I would say all the eggs on the top of the mass failed to develop. The eggs would start and get to develop a tiny tail bud, then the stomach area would become white and the embryo appeared to dissolve from that area and the inside of the egg would become white.
A group of eggs towards the base of the mass looked like they would do the same, but I noticed over the last few days that the embryo had become more elongated. These are now just starting to move inside the egg.
The eggs are now 18 days old, kept indoors under a light for approx 12 hours and at approx 16 degrees.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 803
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 745
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 813

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

I have discovered my camera has a zoom thing...so here is one of the eggs at 21 days old...if you look really hard you can see gills :D

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 820
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!