New Guy Intro

Elapid

Reaction score
Country
United States
'Just surfed in while looking for info on N. maculosus. I've just inherited a trio of the critters. I'm out in California and these are not common here. Over the years I've worked with several types of salamanders as well as other herps. I suppose the most interesting story I have to share is about a C.B. colony of neotenic Brown salamanders Ambystoma gracile that I established back in the 1970’s. The founder stock for the colony were a few wild animals caught in a local stream where A. gracile congregated in spring and migrated upstream to spawn. About 1 in 50 of these salamanders were neotenic and mixed in with the fully transformed adults. I don’t know if anyone is working with A. gracile today or what photos are available but the animals I had were similar to wild type Axolotls but being a little thicker and colored an even dark brown with very fine black markings to no markings of any color. In 1976 I was able to produce a some A. gracile x A. mexicanum hybrids which retained neotenic characteristics at least until early 1979. These hybrid animals were overall dark brown with heavy black spotting and bars. I have some old photos somewhere that I’ll dig up and scan if anyone is interested. Among the several aquatic salamander species I kept during this same period were a group of 3 large wild caught neotenic Pacific Giant Salamanders Dicamptodon ensatus ( these might have been D. tenebrosos) and a pair of. N. maculosus but the only breeding successes were A. gracile and A. mexicanum and the hybridization of these species. All of this was done in a 2 bedroom apartment. Tanks were everywhere! In 1979 I got engaged and my soon to be bride gave me the ultimatum “me or the salamanders” and the salamanders became history. At that time I did not know anyone else who shared my interest in keeping and working with aquatic salamanders. Times have sure changed. I hope to hang around here some and lean a thing or two from this group. Kind Regards to All, Elapid

Welcome aboard! I'd be interested in seeing those pictures, they sound interesting.

Later,
Justin

Hi and welcome! I would be interested in seeing them to!! I look forward to seeing you around. :D

Have a great day!:happy:
Critter Mom

Welcome to the forum. I share your interest in aquatic salamanders, and I too have a N. maculosus.

Your story sounds very interesting, and pictures would be great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back