Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illegal in Canada

Andrew51

Reaction score
I heard from friend today that it is illegal to sell Axolotl in Canada.... is this true?

Apparently he was informed by various pet store owners in Southern Ontario. I hope this is not true, because apparently it is even harder to have them shipped here from the states.

Any info anyone has regarding the issue would be appreciated...

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

This thread is in the legality section of the forum. The thread itself is not specific on axolotls but there are links to resources that may help you further.

-Eva

blueberlin

Reaction score
No need for sorry. I always have to search for the word "Legal" on the main forum page because I can never find it either. :eek:

I have read here from others in Canada with axolotls so I suspect it is not illegal, but I really don't know - so sorry that I couldn't provide more information than a related link.

-Eva

psychoboyjack

Reaction score
I doubt it is since I bought mine last June from Pet Land and I know of reptile/amphibian shows that sell them too.

Don't trust them pet store types! Get them to prove it to you it's illegal - I doubt they'll be able to back it up.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Having them "shipped in" is against the law...its a violation of CITES to transport Ambystoma mexicanium across international boundaries.

michael

Reaction score
Having them shipped in is not illegal. It is just expensive. They need CITES permits and fish and wildlife paperwork.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!