Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Choice of my tank causing color change???

Cruor

Reaction score
I had my axie, Joanna for a few weeks now, she's in a 40l tank with sand and I feed her bloodworm, brine shrimp, bits of meat or liver, a mix really. Anyway, she went in the tank after it was drained after my newt decided to escape the day before intending to get a few more newts from the pet shop. Anyway, now I have Joanna instead and she had a large amount of ammonia in the tank that was severely dangerous, the piddly filter that kept the newt and fish clean couldnt cope, I went to the pet shop and they recommented either a fluval U series submerged filter or the 105 cannister filter. I decided on the 105 cannister as it would allow more room in the tank and it wouldnt be vibrating in the water like the submerged one, with a huge capacity for filtering as well I thought it was a good choice and the shop staff told me the flow rate 'shouldnt' be too stressful for her, it certainly dosen't seem as stong as the Stingray filter I once had. Anyway she's had this cannister filter installed for a few days and I think I'm noticing a colour change in her (she's wild type), going more pale from the bottom up, I read some of the other threads on colour change and the general concensus seems to be that its normally genetic and harmless. But I thought I'd ask what other more experienced keepers have used or had experience with my model of filter and whether it's likely a problem for her. I hope its not stressing her, maybe it's change in water quality??

Thanks.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What's the water flow like with a canister filter like that? That's a fairly small tank so I'd be worried about a canister filter providing a bit too much current.

Cruor

Reaction score
I think it may be a little too turbulent, It does 430l/h. I'm thinking of trying to find a spraybar to stick on it to spread it more, it the moment its coming in through one end of the tank.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The fluval 105 has a lever that you can use to decrease the flow rate (see manual). Until you get a spray bar set up, I'd recommend cutting the flow rate down.

Kiwi303

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
reading around, I get the impression that filter flow for axie tanks should be no more than twice the tank size per hour, 430L/Hr on a 40L tank is an almost 11 times the tank size flow rate.

Cruor

Reaction score
Thanks Jennewt, I'll have a look through my manual now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!