Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rough skinned newts- need help

K

karin

I'm a new user on this site and forgive my maybe stupid questions. I have been trying to feed my rough skinned newts and one is eating well(brine shrimp and mealworms), but the I have not seen the other one eat. He has shed his skin recently,I didn't know if that had anything to do with it. I also need to know what to look for to make sure the earthworms I buy are healthy. Also, I think the mealworms I am feeding are too large for my newts, any suggestions on what other worms to feed them? And where I might be able to get them? The pet stores in my area only sell mealworms.

J

jim

The only stupid questions are the ones that dont get asked.I dont like mealworms personally as they are somewhat fatty and have those big teeth. You can get earthworms at a bait shop or walmart (in sporting goods) and they are usually healthy if they are moving around when you open the container. Just make sure you chop them up small enough for your newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1