Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed Axolotl?

maddief

Reaction score
Ive recently purchased a juvenile Leucistic axolotl. He's eating and has normal behaviour although I noticed his gills were curling forward a bit. Is my axolotl stressed and what could be causing this, the water quality is perfect and the temperature is 18-20 degrees celcius. I've included pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,298

silk

Reaction score
They could naturally sit forward like that, but can you post the exact parameters? Are there any tank makes? How long has it been in its current tank? What kind of filter do you use, and is there a strong water flow? If you leave the light on, that could stress it out too.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Curled gills is over rated as a stress sign, some axolotls do it more than others. It's worth checking water peramiters if your concerned though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1