Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello chinese fire belly newt buddies :)

RFBnewt

Reaction score
Hello guys im new here, i have a question i have had my 2 newts for a week now and the before buying them i researched on caudata about how to take care of them, the pet store salesman told me they eat sinking pellets so thats what i bought then they wouldnt eat that. So i took earthworms from our compost and chopped em up they did eat, but the next day up to now they wouldnt eat and im scared they might die.

I did feed them mosquito larvae which i think they did eat cause i didnt see the larvae the next day in their tank. Also i checked every petshop around i cant find any bloodworms:(

Btw ii tried to tell whether they were male or female but i got confused lol

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Newly purchased petstore firebellies are normally extremely stressed after being captured and exported from China, so the best thing to do is make sure they have the correct environment and let them settle in for a while.
If they recover, they should eat the earthworms and mosquito larvae, but might never recognise the pellets as food.
Here are some helpful links.

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Cynops orientalis - Chinese firebelly
Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

RFBnewt

Reaction score
Thank you. I found alot of moth fly larvae and tried feeding them again and thankfully they did eat. Thank you soo much hopefully they continue to eat. And i would def check those links out thanks a bunch!

Also when i got them both of them were really fat. Hopefully they are not sick ����������

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1