Illness/Sickness: Axie health declining - losing weight, slime coat bumpy and red veins

EmilieEgg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The attached photo shows 1.5 months ago on the left, today on the right. The gold one (Gary) was affected first (started about a month ago) but the pink one (Lydia) has started showing symptoms in past week or two. You can see the drastic weight loss experienced by Gary - the gold one. Symptoms include: significant reduction in volume of blood words consumed, loosing weight, rough / bumpy slime coat, red veiny appearance, and dullness of colour. We do 20% water changes weekly with dechlorinator. Water tests are consistently good - today's results are ammonia below 0 ppm, PH is about 6.5-7, nitrite is 0, and nitrates are around 20 or maybe 40 ppm at the max. It doesn't seem to look like cottony fungus but I don't know.

Advice would be really appreciated! I'm nervous to try treatments (bacteria, salt bath, leaves, tea treatments, etc) before knowing what is ailing these guys as I know some treatments may actually make some illness worse.

Thank you! - Emilie

Attachments

• Gary and Lydia - health declining.jpg
    Gary and Lydia - health declining.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,097
Re: Axie health declining - loosing weight, slime coat bumpy and red veins

What do you feed them and how often?

You mention blood worms, is that their only food source?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back