Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello! Temperature advice?

Tasha92

Reaction score
Hello all! I'm in the research phase of pre-axolotl ownership. For the past 4 weeks I've monitored my 55 gallon's water tempature. It stays roughly between 66-68°F. Would fans on top cool it down to a safe level since it's such a large tank? I have been looking into diy chillers also. Anyone with experience using a diy chiller? Fans on a tank that big? Any other suggestions to cool the tank besides the ice bottle trick?

(Tank is cycled, 2/3rds of the way full, no lid, a few live low light plants, sponge filter/air pump for a 60gal, and sand bottom ~I plan on getting 5"+ axies or rescuing.. I've been looking on Facebook and it seems they are easy to find as adults also)

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Re: Hello! Tempature advice?

Hey! A fan should work well, and you have time to see if it works enough. It isn't as good as a chiller but will do until you can sort out your DIY one. Someone else can help with that :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!