Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby newt care

Darkalix

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I found this baby newt which hatched in my micro terrarium (didn't even notice it !) filled with water from my pond. I also found some moskito larvae to feed him. The problem is that I don't know if it is good for him as food, and if I need to cut little bits of larvae or just but the whole larvae and he will eat it. I put some pictures of my newt and the larvae.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 60389507_2538037062887066_4876176199073660928_n.jpg
    60389507_2538037062887066_4876176199073660928_n.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 283

xxianxx

Reaction score
The food items have to be small enough for him to eat , see what size it can manage. Does your pond have daphnia ? Thats a good aquatic food. What species is it ? Im assuming it survived on microrganisms in the water you di d water changes with, is this correct ?

Darkalix

Reaction score
My pond has cyclop copepods, is that ok ? I think he fed on those since there were a lot in my terrarium. I think it is a Lissotriton helveticus, and when I saw him I put him in tap water that I change every 2-3 days.

xxianxx

Reaction score
My pond has cyclop copepods, is that ok ? I think he fed on those since there were a lot in my terrarium. I think it is a Lissotriton helveticus, and when I saw him I put him in tap water that I change every 2-3 days.

If your ponds fish free i would use pond water and any small bugs in it, once its a bit bigger small chopped eartworm , bloodworm , fruit flies and fruitfly maggots aswell when it goes terrestrial.

Darkalix

Reaction score
Ok, so I won't need to feed him untill he grows terrestrial ? If I change his pond water every 2-3 days ?

xxianxx

Reaction score
Ok, so I won't need to feed him untill he grows terrestrial ? If I change his pond water every 2-3 days ?

As long as bugs are in the water it can feed, add pond weed aswell , it will provide cover and have additional bugs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!