Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue tailed newts and Red Cherry Shrimp

Psychonautx

Reaction score
Hello !

So i have 4 newts in a 30 gallon long planted tank. I was thinking about adding some shrimp but am worried about the shrimp breeding too much. Any experience or advice ?

otolith

Reaction score
I have had cherry shrimp in with my C. cyanurus for about a year. The shrimp reproduce but enough of the small ones get snacked on that I have not noticed there ever being "too many" they give the newts something to hunt and probably help a little with uneaten pellets. You can always sell or trade the baby shrimp too!

Lindagriffithh

Reaction score
If you are new to shrimp breeding, then it is better to buy a kind of Neocaridina davidi (Cherry Shrimp) or Ghost Shrimp. Yes, they are quickly divorced, so just do not get a lot of them.
You need to keep the water clean, it is advisable to add fern to the water, and do not forget to feed Shimps.

ReiDragon

Reaction score
Shrimp are great. They don't produce that much ammonia and they can give great action to a tank. Your newts might like a novel snack every once and awhile too. As said above Neocardia shrimp are a great choice and they come in a lot of colors. Already having a planted tank is great. Gives the shrimp good hiding places and food options.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!