Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotls growing too fast?!?

Mylilpegasister

Reaction score
I have 2 Axolotls that i got 5 months ago and when i got them they were only 4cms each...
now one is 22cm and one is 23cm... I asked the guy at the pet store and said that they were really sick and to just feed them bloodworms, ( I feed them a variety of Axolotl pellets, snails, earthworms, and occasionally Brineshrimp and crickets. I feed them once every 1-2 days ) I also asked about this weird 'Lump' where their tails meet their legs and he said to put them in separate containers and that there was some kind of bad bacteria in the tank.. Im really worried about them.. I have tried to feed them frozen bloodworms but their temporary containers just get really dirty... is their anything else to feed them? Please help :(
also their original tank is 220L is it to large/small ? their current containers are 50L each (old fish tanks my sister used..)

auntiejude

Reaction score
I don't understand what you're asking - axies grow very quickly in the first 6 months - from less than 1cm to 20-25cm - your growth rate sounds normal.

The 'lump' between their back legs also sounds normal - if you post a picture we can check for you - females have a small bump, males a big one, and some axies get a bulge just before they poop. Unless you're talking about a balloon-type hernia - again post some pictures so we can see what you're talking about.

Your diet sounds OK other than the snails - small axies shoudln't b given snail shells. And juvies should be fed daily. They are big enough now for earthworms - this should be their staple.

220L is plenty big enough for 2 axies, 50L is fine for one.

Photos - we need to see your axies and their set-up, post some pics and we can help you.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
Also include the temperature. Did the guy at the store explain this bad bacteria?

Finley

Reaction score
There is no bad bacteria in your tank, just put your axies back in there. The "lumps" indicate their sexes; male has a big bump.

220 L tank is really good for 2 axies, they'll have plenty of room. You can even get one or two more depending on the bottom measurements (the area is more important than height). 50 L is fine for a temporary tank, but I wouldn't keep any axolotls in a such a small space for long.

Your diet sounds good except for the snails and I wouldn't give crickets either. Since your axies are that big already you can feed them evey 2 or 3 days.

Sounds like the guy at the pet store doesn't really know much about axolotls, your axies are doing fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!