Opinions? Swollen cloaca/prolapsed cloaca?

bunny27

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I am a bit unsure of what is happening to my axolotl. He hasn't been sick in 3 years and all of a sudden I find him with a very swollen cloaca.

A couple days ago, I saw that he had thrown up his worm and was sitting strangely by the water filter and he was skinny because he had thrown up the worm. He didn't want to eat so I moved him to the fridge just in case he was sick.

The next day I went to clean his tupperware and noticed his cloaca had swelled up. I thought he might have just been constipated because I moved him to the fridge, but 2 more days and it's still the same and even grew larger. He looks very stressed as you can tell by his curled tail.

I've been reading up some articles on here about a prolapsed cloaca.

I'm asking what you guys have experienced, if you guys think it's something that'll go away on its own?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

18897561998_0619883563_k.jpg

18464551563_62bf48646b_k.jpg

18464555343_1a3c6a641b_k.jpg

18897518690_9c6c0c97aa_k.jpg

Had he always had those prominent red veins? That usually points towards poor water quality, but it may be because of the cold fridge.

It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but it could be a blockage or a prolapse. I'd take him to a vet for confirmation.

Had he always had those prominent red veins? That usually points towards poor water quality, but it may be because of the cold fridge.

It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but it could be a blockage or a prolapse. I'd take him to a vet for confirmation.

Thank you very much for your response!

He normally does not have these red veins, especially not when he's in the fridge. I think because he's stressing so much, he's showing these veins.

I didn't notice the swollen cloaca until the next day after I had put him in the fridge. I feel like he might be trying to pass something and it's just stuck, but it also worries me that it's been 2 days already and there's no poop (and it looks bigger).

I really hope he'll heal on his own because I doubt in Minnesota, there's vets that might be experienced with axolotls. Do you think it is worth it to go see a vet for this? (I might go see one anyways if I find one).

Thank you again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back