Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cleaning and cycle?

honeydew

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Currently I’m in the process of cycling a tank for my axolotl. Obviously I haven’t been doing water changes as I’m waiting for the cycle to be established, but as a result the bottom of the tank is looking pretty dirty. My question is: If I clean the bottom of the tank, will that crash the cycle by removing bacteria that may be settled there? My tank is bare-bottomed by the way! Thank you!

Tye

Reaction score
I'm sorry no one responded to this. You should be able to clean the bottom of the tank, you'll be cleaning the waste from the axolotl when you get it after all. The beneficial bacteria will tend to colonize on your decorations, hides, plants and inside the filter media. So cleaning the bottom of the tank shouldn't harm your cycle.
Things that will crash a cycle would be to replace all the filter media at once, wash the media with tap water, clean off all the decorations with tap water, doing many 100% water changes. Those are the kinds of things that can cause a cycle crash.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!