Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alternative to rinsing sand/substrate

Boxolotl

Reaction score
Could I pour the sand into my tank, fill it with water, turn on my filter, and agitate the sand for the next 2 weeks instead of rinsing it using the bucket method?

I am getting play sand from walmart and putting it in a 75 gal tank and am getting 3 axolotls in 2 weeks. I haven't slept very well for the past few days trying to prep the tank and I find out I don't have enough sand! Great! So, I'm just trying to find something that is cost and time efficient. If I could stir up the sand a few times over the next week and let the filter do its thing rather than the bucket method it would be perfect!

Reaction score
Seems like a waste of filter media. If you’re dealing with a larger quantity of sand, try dividing it and rinsing in smaller portions. Use a large plastic cup, Tupperware bowl, or pitcher to add to your tank to avoid further clouding ??
Pool filter sand from the hardware store (Lowe’s or Home Depot) is like $9 a bag, and also safe for axies. Just make sure you rinse it as well.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
play sand will just clog up your filter if unrinsed, it needs a LOT of rinsing before adding to a tank. Pool sand might be ok to just add and filter, its less messy and about the same price at hardware stores.
i just got some pool filter sand and it just needed one or two rinses, it was really easy to just put a 5 gal bucket in my tub filled about 15% with sand then add water to about halfway before mixing well (i just shoved my arm in) then carefully tipping the bucket to drain the water without losing all your sand. rinse and repeat, as they say.

Kingfisher

Reaction score
The sand would not really get cleaned if you put it in the tank without rinsing it. It will just settle on the bottom of the tank but when the sand gets stirred up your water will be cloudy. You should rinse the sand in a 5 gallon bucket before putting it in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!