Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Problems with water temperature

Noe79

Reaction score
Hi!

First of all, I want yo apologize form my English. I'll try to get understood the best as possible.

I live un the south of Spain and these days we are going through a horrible heatwave (44°C) and I'm having problems to keep my tank (60*30*40) in a decent temperature.

I could keep water between 22-24°Celsius. I know It is not the most convenience temperature... Two days ago, when I arrived home from work at midday the water temperature was in 26.5°Celsius. I took some water from the tank and I put my axo in the fridge vegetables drawner.

He has been here since yesterday with his water at 10-12°C.

I am doing some improvements in his tank. It is not nice but i hope It will work

I have several questions:

How long can my axo stay in the fridge?
I have thought in putting a couple of bottles in the middle of the tube that goes inside the ice-box so that the water could 'rest' in for a while before going again to the tank, do you think it could help me keeping the temperature a bit lower?

Buying a chiller is not possible because they are terrible expensive here.

Thank you in avance for taking a moment reading my post

Attachments

• IMG_20190723_092323.jpg
    IMG_20190723_092323.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG-20190723-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190723-WA0001.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
Laptop fans , or actual cooling fans are helpful. They look like this and you can find them to fit your aquarium measurements.
c329f87ad64aad03ed2237528a4b46cd.jpg

If you are looking to go a cheaper route, same some plastic 1 or 2 liter bottles or a few water bottles to freeze and just keep rotating them in/out of the tank as they melt.

Noe79

Reaction score
Hi!

Thank you very much for your answer.

Actually, I already have a three-bodies aquarium fan mounted on my tank and I follow the freezed bottles rotation routine every day.

Despite this, I still have problems in keeping water temperature in a not too comfortable range of 22-24°C.

Do you think it could be a good idea adding something where the water can rest inside the ice-box to get it cooler before going back to the tank?

Another quite important question that worries me is how long can my axie stay in my fridge drawer?

He has been there for three days now and, I think due to the cold water, he has not eaten in these three days....

I am quite worried about his health

One more time, thank you in avance for your time and advice

Kingfisher

Reaction score
You could also try putting insulating Styrofoam around all sides of the tank, replace the water with some chilled water, rotate the frozen bottles of water and have the fans blowing. Maybe replace the 3 aquarium fans with a full size floor fan blowing over the top of the open aquarium. It may not be the best for viewing your axolotl but it may insulate your tank from raising the temperature.

As for keeping the guy in the fridge, I haven't fridged my guys but I'm sure if you search this site with the word "fridge" or "fridging" you'll find lots of answers. I've seen some threads saying they had their axolotl in the fridge for a week or 2.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1