Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Siren breeding attempts

meteordemon

Reaction score
Hi! So I have been fascinated with the idea of breeding my greater sirens for some time now. I know captive attempts haven't been successful from what I can tell but I know people have intentionally bred dwarves and at least accidentally have bred lessers. The only info I can find about nesting is that they've found eggs in clumps of peat caught in water hyacinth roots. Right now they are in a 250 gallon outdoor glass aquarium with lots of vals planted across the ground, large wood and rock hides, water lilies and a thick layer of a mixture of lily pads, water lettuce and water hyacinth across the entire surface of the tank. Does anyone have experience with lesser or dwarf breeding? I figure the outdoor tank will potentially help with noticable seasonal changes but I know very little else about what people have noticed when eggs are laid. Right now my babies are 28 and 26 inches long, and I'm 90% sure I've got a male and female.

Tarabull

Reaction score
There was a study done on lesser sirens breeding. The breeding was successful, but if I remember right the eggs didn't survive. I read it a couple years ago. I found the name and authors. The only place I've been able to find the article online makes you pay for it. Maybe you can find it in a library or somewhere.

Biting in the Salamander Siren intermedia intermedia: Courtship Component or Agonistic Behavior?
John E. Fauth and William J. Resetarits, Jr.
Journal of Herpetology
Journal of Herpetology
Vol. 33, No. 3 (Sep., 1999), pp. 493-496 (4 pages)
Published by: Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1