Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Burnt gills

L

lauren

i often here talk about axies with "burnt gills" and i think maybe my axie has gills that were "burnt". Can someone post a pic of what this looks like? Is that like ammonia burns?

A

alex

yea i think they are ammonia burns. have u tested your water for ammonia because that will tell you for sure. his right foot looks a bit mutated lol.

E

edward

People also often forget that the size of the gills can be related to oxygen content of the water as well as other factors.
Attempting to look at the gills on a animal and determine if the animal has ammonia burns based on the size of the gills is useless unless the test kit supports the possible diagnosis.
Often in aquatic animals, ammonia burns are seen as a redding of the skin and you could also see damage in other areas of the tissues.

Ed

L

lauren

i dont think they are ammonia burns though, as my other axie was in the same tank and was fine.

J

joan

Also, if you look on the first gill stalk on the left, it definately looks like it has been bitten off, not burnt.

L

lauren

ok that sounds more reasonable. I think thats what happened because they had to travel side by side in a bucket to get here. How do i fix the gills?

L

lauren

generally, how long does it take for an axies gills to grow back?

J

joan

They'll grow back usually around a few weeks to a few months. Mine didn't regain a full 'normal' looking gill stalk until 6 months later, and it's still a little stubby. As long as it seems to be getting enough air, don't worry about it. If it is surfacing an excessive amount, you may try adding an airstone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!