The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 29th April 2006   #1
mary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

HI there, does anyone else notice their Axies jerking their gills repeatedly?
is it some sort of means of getting oxygen or something- when the gills are jerking the underside of the mouth moves too. I hope it doesn't mean they are uncomfortable or deprived in some way? its almost like they are trying to regurgitate. my two do it quite often but i haven't noticed a pattern. I don't have a filter- yet- but have a wee air pump going 12hrs and swap a wee % of dirty water for filtered water daily. Their pH always measures around the neutral, don't have the other tests- too expensive at the mo'.

Old 29th April 2006   #2
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

when they flick there gills it moves the old unoxygenated water over the gills and brings fresh oxygenated water on the gills. it saves them from have to move around all the time.

Old 30th April 2006   #3
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mary, most will do this even with an air pump. Alex explained the reasons behind it. Axolotls are pretty lazy, and it's just easier to move gills than the whole body.

Old 2nd May 2006   #4
mary

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sounds very clever to be- suppose its a bit like us yawning?

Tags
gills, jerking

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 13th September 2019, 17:56 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.