Food through gills... eeww

L

lee

Sometimes when I feed El Guapo his frozen bloodworms, they sort of come out of his gills... I only give him a quarter of a cube, and he is a little piggy. But why are some of the bloodworms coming out from his gill area? Has that ever happened to anyone else's MWF? Fascinating to watch - a little disturbing.
sick.gif

i beleive it is normal. not sure how to explain it but if you cut their frills off they would like they had gills in the place fish do but its disguised by their actual gills, i am unsure if there is anything in the 'fish gills' part or not though.

Thanks, I thought I was harming him or I got a 'special' one
wink.gif

I guess I'd like to know from other owners if they have observed this, too.

There is still a gill slit behind the gills, despite their having external gills. In fish, the gills are located in the gill slit.

I had one whom I fed an extra-large worm, and the worm came out his gill slit, and he continued to eat it, so it formed a circle. It looked like a giant axolotl piercing.

One note on this: I have observed the exact same thing but often. It's usually when my axolotl, Hermes takes way too much and so can't swallow it all. Sort of like if you've ever put half a Mars bar in your mouth and then don't really have any space to chew. It sort of comes out of your mouth (ok! I guess thats just me!)! My guess is that the same thing happens with axies. They take too much and because their mouth is closed it just comes out their gill slits! Very funny to watch! Never did Hermes any harm though, so I guess it's just another of their more disgusting, yet quirky/funny traits!!!

I sort of thought that might be it - El Guapo is a piggy, if I'm not careful he just snatches all the food in one big gulp. Then it comes out of his gills.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back