Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flappin gills bad ?

S

shane

my axies are always flappin their gills is this a bad thing ?
52773.jpg

A

alex

flapping gill is an axolotls way of pushing old water away and bringing new water to there gills. its easier for them than having to move there entire body foward.

J

jarred

Shane,

Axolotls flap their gills to push away old water and replace it with oxygenated water. This is to save having to move around to get to better oxygenated water. It is a normal behaviour and nothing to worry about unless they do it excessively. This could mean there is not enough oxygen in the water and you should put in an airstone to correct this.

S

shane

got an airstone in already just thought id ask coz u ppl seem 2 know more than me

J

jarred

Sorry about that. Must have been writing my response when Alex posted.

A

alex

click edit profile which is in the top right hand corner sort of. and then go down to picture and upload your pic.

(Message edited by alex_axolotl on January 29, 2006)

S

shane

do i need a chiller ? my water temps at 20c and can i make a chiller or do i buy one

A

alex

20 is ok. if it goes above 24 then you should be worried. i highly doubt u will need a chiller though.

J

joan

Usually the only people that really need a chiller are those in Australia. It rarely gets hot enough for long durations in the nothern US or in the UK to worry about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!