The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Old 3rd July 2007   #1
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Four "Chinese" Rough-skinned Newts

Today I went to the pet store and they asked me if I could identify these four newts they got which were labeled as "chinese rough-skinned newts." They know I was crazy to get some Tarichas and that's what they were! I had managed to get six in the last few months, but two died while I was on vacation. Anyway, these guys are rather skinny. I immediately took them home and put them in a quarantine tank. After a bit, they each ate half a worm. So that's a good sign, that they have an appetite. I'm going to offer them a small amount each day rather than trying to stuff them full. They all seem active enough, so I'm hopeful that they'll recover. Any tips on reviving newts like this will be welcomed!

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Small, frequent meals are the best way to do it. Also, if they're aquatic, try blackworms. Mine won't pass them up.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007   #3
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

They're out of blackworms until tomorrow. I cut up a worm yesterday and they all ate but I think one or two might have spat out when I turned around (just like kids)! Not funny, though, two are pretty emaciated. Today I raided my slug farm and took really small ones and two of them ate. I diced some worms and a large slug (and to think a couple months ago I couldn't even cut up a worm!), hoping that Newt sushi might entice them, and left them in a bowl in the tank. It's so sad to see such noble little creatures look like escapees from a concentration camp. I don't even want to post pictures of them.

Old 4th July 2007   #4
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I've been there myself. I had one continue to not eat, and I took a gamble when treating her for an infection when she was so thin. She looked like she was going to pull out, but took a turn for the worse. But then, in the same 'group', I had one continue to grow and eat well.

Just keep trying your best. It's all you can do.

Old 4th July 2007   #5
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Thanks, I think I was just looking for some moral support.

Old 5th July 2007   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

My one still is quite a picky eater. Sometimes he'll refuse earthworms until he's looking thinner, and I resort to blackworms again. I'm really trying to wean him from them, as it's an inconvenience for me. But he eats them heartily. He also loves waxworms, so I treat him fairly often. But something about earthworms... he just doesn't like them.

Old 5th July 2007   #7
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I usually just buy a modest amount of blackworms from the petstore each week, but between these new newts and all my larvae, I decided to splurge and email-ordered a pound which will probably arrive tomorrow or the following day. Good think I live alone and don't eat veggies! Because they're going straight into the veggie drawer. A pound of those in my fridge will even gross me out, and I'm developing such a high gross-out threshhold with all this worm and slug cutting.

Old 5th July 2007   #8
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Could you do me a favor? When you get your pound of blackworms, send me a picture of how many that really is? I've been debating getting the 1/4 from Cali Blackworms, but I don't know if that'll be too much. I've got the picky newt, and my baby turtles that often eat them.

Old 5th July 2007   #9
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I think I can answer your question on the amount...
I get half a pound of blackworms a month at work and that is usually between 1/2 and 3/4 of a one cup liquid measuring cup full of blackworms.

Ed

Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007   #10
Brian
(caudataman)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 3
Rep: caudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Dawn,

PetStop at the MidValley Mall in Newburgh has had blackworms every time I looked for them. First exit after the bridge...

Brian

caudataman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007   #11
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Ed, thanks. I have a hard time visualizing things sometimes, so that helps.

Old 5th July 2007   #12
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Ed has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Hi Kaysie,

your welcome..

At work it seemed like the amount was different over a couple of shipments so I was checking it to see and while the weight was the same, the volume was different (which seemed to be dependent on the size of the worms).

Ed

Old 5th July 2007   #13
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

From the local fish shop, I get about a tablespoon every 10 days or so. But the baby turtles are being switched to earthworm chunks (and thoroughly love shredding their food), so there's no real need to get large amounts.

Old 5th July 2007   #14
Ed
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I go through about 1/2 lb a month at work and as long as I rinse the worms every day they last more than a month in the fridge...

Ed

Old 5th July 2007   #15
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Well Kaysie, I'll still take a picture of mine so you can compare...I so love posting pictures. :)
Thanks for the heads up, Brian. Animabilia in Wappingers Falls, where I usually go, got some in, so I got some to tide me over to my pound; buying a pound will be much cheaper than buying a teaspoon at a time for $1.25. Or maybe it's a tablespoon. They sell them in little cups and I can't really tell. I don't think I want to use my cooking spoons to measure how much it actually is.
Anyway I think one of the really skinny ones ate a few. I put them in a small bowl with a bunch of worms so they're swimming in them. If I was swimming in a bathtub of M&Ms, I wouldn't be able to resist no matter how un-hungry I was!

Old 6th July 2007   #16
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I've heard of people keeping live blackworms alive for over 3 months in the fridge by rinsing them every day. I've kept them for close to 2 months.

A half-pound of live blackworms fits neatly into a shoebox-sized container in the fridge. When I order a full pound, they are a bit too thick of a layer for that size of container. Maybe that will also help with visualizing the quantity (and the fridge space required).

Good luck with feeding, Dawn.

Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007   #17
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I finally got my worms! Here they are. They came out to be 1 3/4 cups (one pound).
Two of the grans have been eating, two have not yet, except for that initial gulp on their first day. I separated them into two (quarantine) tanks, the two eaters in a 15-gallon, and the two not eating in a ten (that's all I had around). I thought, the more space, perhaps the less stressed they'll feel. The two that aren't eating, one or both of them keep shedding (and not eating their skin). I don't imagine that can be a good sign.
Every day I keep offering all four of them a bit of something. The two eaters are taking 1-3 small pieces of earthworm or slug daily. I will put both non-eaters each in a small goldfish bowl with a mass of worms for an hour or so, my plan is to try that daily until we make progress. If anyone has a tip, I'm all ears.

On another note, as long as I'm posting pictures, I have a new microscope! I had borrowed a stereo-microscope from my boyfriend, and when my brother came over and saw it, he said that he had our Dad's old microscope that was just in a box and no one was using it. I'd forgotten all about that thing! Dad's hobby was geology, so I imagine he looked close-up at rocks with it. It's even better than the boyfriend's. He would be amused to see it being used again, for another odd hobby!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ppound-o-worms1.JPG
Views:	703
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ppound-o-worms2 (2).JPG
Views:	524
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	766   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDad'sMicroscope.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	767  

Old 17th July 2007   #18
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Finally! the two emaciated newts have eaten a little. One started a few days ago, just a bit, and today, the other emaciated one ate as much blackworms as it could, it's little belly was round.
That's after offering them worms in the bath daily, as I described, for about 12 days. Never give up!
Though, whether they continue and survive, is another story; but it's a milestone and I had to share.

Old 17th July 2007   #19
audrey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: audrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Congradulations! Eating is definitely a good sign!

audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007   #20
Stefanie C
(shorty)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: shorty has started on the right path

YAY! I'm hoping they'll get plump soon so I can see a feeding on youtube. The worm bath would be interesting to see. Hope your little guys keep progressing.

shorty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese, newts, roughskinned