The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1st October 2007   #1
Murray

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Murray has started on the right path
Default My brine shrimp didnt hatch

I have about 150 three day old axies and todays batch of brine shrimp hasnt hatched. I'm hoping it will by this evening. They should hatch but if they dont is there anything I can give them until the next batch hatches. I have rung around a few of my local pet shops and none have any live shrimp and one suggested I could use cooked egg yolk. I'm not sure about this, if they will take food that isnt alive would frozen bloodworm be better. The other question I have is how long will the young survive without a feed. I have up until now been feeding every twelve hours. Also reading through the forum a lot of you suggest that a smaller number would be easier to raise. This is my first attempt at raising young and dont really want to loose any (who does). Any advice gratefully accepted.

Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007   #2
frances dansie
(digger)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

hi,
have you tried daphnia/waterflea.
these are ideal as they can be left in the tank with the larvae as they live fresh water.

digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007   #3
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You can try very finely chopped blackworms. You'd have to order them now and get them delivered tomorrow though.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007   #4
Murray

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Murray has started on the right path

Disaster averted. I managed to find a shop that gave me a bag of Daphnia and my shrimp finally hatched so all babies were fed. I kept some of the Daphnia back and put them in a concrete tub of water I have in the yard so hopefully I'll have my own supply in a couple of weeks. I was a bit conservative on my count of babies. After taking a photo of the tank and counting from the photo I actually have 375!!!!!

Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2007   #5
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I fished a worm out of the compost bin with the intention of feeding it to my hoard..sliced..but chickened out as I had a feeling chopping it at a certain end would have the pieces moving. .....which is fine but I didn't want to needlessly 'waste' a worm by starting at the wrong end. So if any one should have any handy hints and tips I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007   #6
frances dansie
(digger)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 12
Rep: digger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdigger is a mainstay of Caudata.org

remember if you attemp to breed daphnia dont over fish it as the colony will crash and you end up with nothing.
on a bad note i hope you have plenty of time, space and money as that many babies need plenty of both.
daily water changes alone will take a vast amount of time and the money for food !!!!!!!

digger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brine, hatch, shrimp