The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 15th April 2008   #1
Lasher

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 0
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Tank size for Orientalis

The next chapter in the lives of my squabbling CO's is going to be a move into a small split tank. Basicaly I've failed to find two suitable small tanks anywhere. I intend to construct a tank split into two sections with the one good filter from my current tank, using styrene sheeting and cork so they cant see each other. My question is this - how big?
Both are adults, what is the recommended tank dimensions for a single specimen? I've kept them for years, but always in groups of two or larger and I honestly have no idea.

To fit where it needs to go I'll be using a clearseal aquarium 8' high by 8' deep but am unsure on the length(I can accomodate a maximum of 24' long, so 12' each side). To my knowledge tanks are available in 12, 16, 20 and 24'. Land areas wont be too deep to maximise water area, and I shouldnt think water quality would be an issue(good, established filter).

Thoughts?

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008   #2
issac NEWTon

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: issac NEWTon has started on the right path

id say it would work, some people put 3 in a ten gal, the long type are '12" high, "10" deep and "20"long. those are inches. go for the max space. probably dumb question, but why do they need to be seperated

issac NEWTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008   #3
Lasher

Nationality:
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

They became aggressive and the male was quite badly injured. He's recovering, slowly, I dont think its really fair that he's living in a small tub on the window sill and she gets a 2ft tank to herself!

Old 25th April 2008   #4
issac NEWTon

Nationality:

i feel kinda stupid but, is this why their seperated.

Old 25th April 2008   #5
Lasher

Nationality:

It is. I've been keeping CO's on and off for 8 years, this pairs behaviour still has me puzzled.

Old 25th April 2008   #6
issac NEWTon

Nationality:

o sorry,is their a signifacant size difference? im sure you know not to do this already(putting larger specimens with smaller ones).

Old 25th April 2008   #7
Lasher

Nationality:

No, the female was slightly plumper but no longer/larger in build than the male.

Old 26th April 2008   #8
issac NEWTon

Nationality:

this puzzles me,i always thought c.o's were not supposed to be aggressive, regardless of sex, have you ever seen the male trying to court the female, i guess mabye she just dosent like him, anyway the size is probably good. good luck.

Old 26th April 2008   #9
Lasher

Nationality:

Orientalis do tend to be more peacefull than most species, though they can have aggressive tendencies depending on the individuals personality and environmental conditions. As with most species of amphibia they will fight over food, sometimes even if there is enough and its spread around.
During breeding season if you keep odd numbers of males/females they will fight over the opposite sex, they can also act territoraly just not to the degree that other species will.

Tags
orientalis, size, tank