Terrestrial Morphs habitat - Cool down

I

ian

It is getting hotter these days and I still have these 40 cfbn morphs in terrestrial stage. So I am wondering if there is anyway to cool down a terrestrial enclosure. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Hi Ian, my best idea (if you don't have air conditioning, of course) is to get a small fan and have it pulling hot air out of the enclosure. I don't really like to use fans because I worry that the vibration of the fan stresses the newts out, but I don't really have the means to suspend one from the ceiling or anything, hehe.

Anyway, I suppose there are more drastic measures that could be taken. You can get a really small window a/c unit for 30 or so US dollars (I don't know anything about canadian $$) which isn't too bad.

You might also be able to put them in the fridge (this might be too cold for morphs, I'm not very experienced in this, I'm just giving ideas, but I know you'll be sure that's safe before you do it).
Maybe if your household fridge has to be kept too cold you could invest in a small fridge and not keep it quite so cold?

Also if you have a basement that would be good.
I'm about out of ideas.
sad.gif

How about keeping a bottle of water in the fridge and then misting the enclosure once or twice a day? I wonder how effective that would work. Or maybe take a reusable ice pack, and bury it under the substrate, just need to find one thats not to big so that it doesnt freeze the newts, and one thats not to small so that it doesnt thaw out to soon. Ive read something about putting a small tank inside a larger tank and giving it a 'water bath'. Just keep the larger tank filled with cooler water and icecube/packs and that will draw heat out of the smaller tank. Im glad I moved out of an apartment and got my first house with a basement, I was using 8 icepacks everyday. Had no room in the freezer for anything else! Hope you find a solution!

Danny doesn't have such a bad idea there. You could get a large plastic tub, fill it about half full with icy cold water, and put your tank down in that.

Sounds like a pain to me, but you gotta do what you gotta do. And you could just throw some ice in there whenever you have time?

Thanks, these are so really cool idea. Anyway, I am moving back home from residence tomorrow. So I guess my newts should be fine with one more day of low 70.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back