Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggies

zoezakella

Reaction score
Meh! I have NOT been successful. I had plenty of hatchees, but they were all rather small, except 2 that came from eggs developed in the axolotl tank + these 2 seemed a lot better formed than the others. I then had a daphnia drought (though someone nearby who had eggs from me popped round with some brine shrimp, then daphnia, so I don't think they were starved)
I am now down to only 2 larvae (1 wild type + 1 golden, which has front limb buds) that were better formed from the start.
I'm trying to convince myself that I didn't do anything wrong + that it's because I selected the better formed / further progressed eggs each time I rehomed, so I was effectively left with the runts.
The local person (not Raziela) reports that theirs are doing great, but apart from here, I haven't heard from anyone else.

Hard malarky this egg raising huh :( I gave away a good 35 of my larvae and I think only one girl has hers (minus 1) left :( out of the 24 I kept I am down to 11. I think 3 of those recently were down to food due to 2 non deliveries and my cultures just not working out (i hate these stupid daphnia and brine shrimp things driving me nuts)!!! so anyway basically just to say dont stress it is nature and I know apart from the food thing I have been looking after my guys right t is just sad and sometimes they just go, doesn;t make it any easier especially as I lost my only dark one saturday was really p*ssed about that one :mad: xx

memojo1979

Reaction score
POOP!!! Lost my remaining 2 over night :(:(:(
On the plus side, I'm doing REALLY well building up my friend's stunted growth / mutilated axies - the wildtype is growing her leg back (I'm fairly darn sure it's a girl, as she's very plump now) + although I haven't measured them, but I think all 3 have grown ;) I think I can safely say 1 of them is a boy, because despite all having a good appetite now, he's very slim. And, as for the other, it can go rather plump (did to begin with, when I was feeding them twice daily by pipette), but is currently somewhere in between the other 2. It's swollen back leg (which looked terrible) is no longer swollen + looks like it will be functional (which I never thought would happen, as it was in such a state!), but it doen't look like the other back leg is regenerating.

Keep me informed on the babies please guys (mine + the others who were laid at the same time!) :happy:

MereB

Reaction score
Awwwww I'm so sorry to hear that Mojo :(
My guys first lot was about 200 eggs and only one even hatched :( I was absolutely amazed that he survived. 2nd batch 6 months later and 165 hatched and of those 90 made it to juvie stage when I started selling them so there is hope if you want to try it again with the next batch. You did everything so well, pleas don't feel like it was your fault sometimes they just don't make it. One of the primary reasons they lay so many at once I suspect.

3rd batch was laid 2 months after the 2nd and I've lost all but four of the 321 eggs that looked good to hatch. Then my moron axies laid again 3 weeks after the 3rd lot but I left those in the tank and they were eaten at the week and a half mark just after they started wiggling.

Hang in there you did everything you could.

memojo1979

Reaction score
I want to try again, but with both goldens, since that seems to be what everyone wants, but it's a no-no - every time I contemplate it, I give myself a mental slap + remind myself that they're siblings ;)

Minniechild

Reaction score
So everyone up your way's after goldies? Down here it's all leucistics, and I was incredibly lucky to get Peta (he only sold her coz he knows me) thanks to the ever increasing demand for them (Now all his leucistics are being kept as breeding stock).

mewsie

Reaction score
Aww :( Sorry to hear that.

Re: breeding, you could get yourself another golden from a different source :) :p

memojo1979

Reaction score
I originally wanted a leucy - they're my favourite, but in the end I went for what I could get at the time + got an amazing bargain ;)
Going to get some leucy babies (4-5cm) this week too - yay!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1