Axolotl Babies Dying

aw273

Reaction score
Country
United States
I apologize, I'm new to this website and not sure where to post this. But I was wondering if anyone can help me, to tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Let me start off by saying that these are first clutch axolotls- I started with 260 completely healthy babies. Raised them to 3 1/2 weeks with no problems, then randomly started having die offs. It started out with a small amount. Maybe 4 a day- then became handfuls. I hatch baby brine shrimp daily, clean everything with hot water, had the babies separated in 7 different tubs (and one glass tank), cleaned water daily, temperature is consistent and below 65.. I'm not sure what has caused it. After all the die offs I even tried switching water and containers, it has made no difference.
This started 3 days ago, the babies seem to be shrinking- which is confusing because they have full orange bellies, I can see them eating. Also, it seems like right before they die their tails point upwards.
I am down to 30 babies. Please any suggestions or help is welcomed. The only ideas I have is bacterial or they weren't meant to make it because they were first clutch.

When I raised mine some died, I had a massive die off when I added a new tub and I think it was because the bin was probably toxic even after I had cleaned it many times and left it outside for a month. So I doubt this helps but maybe it will.

Sorry this is happening. I haven't raised babies so may not be much help, but are you making sure to dechlorinate the water and changing it daily?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back