Axolotl not eating but still fat??

pikaandgroot

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there, I'm Rachel from NZ.

I have two axolotls Pika (golden albino) and Groot (leucistic) who are both about 8 months old.

When I got Groot (before Pika) the experienced seller said that she thought Groot might be slightly dwarfed and she has a twisted tail. When I researched this I saw that dwarf axolotls are often quite short and fat - Groot definitely fits this.

Pika has been acting as normal but Groot hasn't eaten properly in about 3 weeks. I have a worm farm but Groot would often reject the worms and frozen food only eating dried pellets. Groot doesn't look hungry as her belly is still huge! But in the last week she has been hardly moving, to the point where I think she is dead, only indication is when she flaps her gills. She's not floating at all so I don't think she's constipated. Pika is a female also as far as I can tell so I don't think anyone is pregnant.

They live in a 90cm tank with sand, the temp is about 19C - I will do a water test today.

Any thoughts on what I should do for Groot? Or what the problem is? Very worried about her!!

Can you attach some photos?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back