Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red tips on a couple gills

mcyou

Reaction score
Hi so I’m new to owning axolotls. I now have three and I noticed one of them has very bright red tips on a couple of his gills. I am temporarily keeping them in a big tub in my tub that I do daily 100% water changes on and water is cold. Was wondering if anyone has any idea what it might be? Is it a bacteria, is it stress or is it something normal that can happen? Butterball is still eating and pretty sure he is also pooping. He’s also been pretty active with enjoying doing some laps around the tub with the others. He doesn’t eat nearly as much as the other two yet but I don’t know if that could also be from stress of a new place? I’ve only had them for around a week now.

Attachments

• A65EEA18-65B8-4FE0-8C7D-CB931E1AE207.jpg
    A65EEA18-65B8-4FE0-8C7D-CB931E1AE207.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 217

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Judging from the picture I would say it is just the gills, maybe some filaments growing in. If you're able to get a closer image it might help. Redness is usually fine, and gills can go a darker red when the axies are active.
Just to check, what dechlorinator are you using? And are they tubbed while the tank is cycling?

mcyou

Reaction score
The breeder I got him from did say he had the shortest gills out of all of the others she had. So really hoping it is just the filaments.
Yeah I’m keeping them in a plastic tub while the tank is cycling. Using jungle start right to dechlorinate. He pigged out today and is still being very active thankfully.

And thank you for replying

Attachments

• FEE3A40B-B430-4F94-B4F9-83BB083FF505.jpg
    FEE3A40B-B430-4F94-B4F9-83BB083FF505.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 179
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!