The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 10th June 2019   #1
Nitokris

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Nitokris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hyperactive Axolotl running laps

Last week I added a new Axolotl to my tank which has another male in it.
They became friends and hang around together, but the new younger one always starts running along, doing laps from one end of the tank to another. Sometimes the older one tries to follow but gives up. He usually stops and wanders around or sleeps for a bit, but then goes back to doing laps.
Is this normal for a young one? Are they usually this energetic? I've only had my large one since he was 7 and he's always so lazy.

Nitokris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019   #2
Murk

Nationality:
Rep: Murk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hyperactive Axolotl running laps

In my experience, it's a personal thing that depends on the individual. I have an axolotl that is very active - always swimming or strolling, very curious. I also have an axolotl that is a lazy bum and likes to hang around in good spots, only coming out if it gets hungry.
Both are completely healthy, not stressed, good appetite, and that's what matters most.

You could try to facilitate the active one (give it an uninterrupted lane for fast swimming!)

Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019   #3
Nitokris

Nationality:
Rep: Nitokris is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good to hear. He has a running lane along the front of my tank, but he's wearing out a little track in the sand and causing a dune

Nitokris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

My old ones used to run laps along the front and they made the sand dune too haha

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote