The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Chinadog

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Hypselotriton cyanurus

It's been way too long since I started a new thread, so here goes...
H. Cyanurus is a specits I've been interested in for a long time, so when I was offered some juveniles last winter I snapped them up. To start off with I found them quite fragile and tricky to feed. Unfortunately one died and i was worried about the others, but after speaking with another keeper I upped their temperature and things improved straight away. The five survivors are now fully aquatic doing very well, although the males are quite slow growing compared to the females. I'm hoping they will mature in time for next year's breading season and can't wait to see the males breeding colours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_220924-1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	56011   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_220554-1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	56012   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_220616-1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	56013   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191008_215758-1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	56014  

Last edited by Chinadog; 1 Week Ago at 19:04.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Auli
(AuSu)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: AuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and informationAuSu has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Hypselotriton cyanurus

Are they so light or does photo change the colour? I've never seen these live and have just thought the'd be quite similar with cfbn but according to these pics, they are not :)

AuSu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Until I got these I'd never actually seen them either!
They can go from almost white to very dark with different patterns seemingly at will, especially the females, they look almost ghostly sometimes.
They are quite different to orientalis. I find them much bolder and more active, this strain are also much larger when adult, about the same size as C. pyrrhogaster.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Viking

Nationality:
Rep: Viking is an unknown quantity at this point

In the care sheet section, There is a picture of larvae. They are the whole range of colors.

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote