waxworm cocoon?

xenopus

Reaction score
Country
United States
my waxworms aren't lasting long before they get a kind of a cocoon around their front halves and then instead of turning into beetles or whatever they just die....and smell ? why are they dying?

dsc00243ab6.jpg

I believe it's a humidity issue. How do you store your waxworms? I keep mine in the fridge. Some times they last for weeks.

i havent kept them in the fridge for fear that they would freeze because i had put some worms in there and they kinda froze poor things, but i dont want to mess with the temp because its not my fridge (i live with someone else) it shouldn't be too humid there just in a plastic "shoe box" with a plastic lid with lots of holes slashed into the top of it,for air, sitting next to the frog tank with only the wood shavings they came in ...ill be going easy on the wax worms though my frogs were ,well i dont want to say skinny because that would sound like they were unhealthy, but they were smaller one day and fat the next it happened that fast lol

Waxworms don't last very long if they're not kept cool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back