Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl gill and mouth bleeding! Help!

dennis11689

Reaction score
So about a week ago I bought feeder fish for my axolotls and I'm 95% sure they got them sick. Two started developing white spots on their gills and one had it on his skin underneath his gills, I read up and I saw it was recommended salt baths, I gave them salt baths and after 3 (1 time a day, for 10min @ a little less than two tae spoons a liter) one looked great no more white and was eating and active, the other one seemed to get worse. Hasn't ate in about 4 days, so I decided to refrigerate also (@43-44 degrees) doin 100% chlorine free water changes each day with a salt bath in the middle, all water same temp, 3 containers I'm fridge, I've had him in there 3 days and I decided to take him out so he's in a container lettin the water slowly warm up to around 68 degrees (basement temp) and i noticed that it was bleeding a good amount from it's one gill, has about an inch round circle of blood below his head and looks as though he's starting to bleed from his mouth to, I have no idea what's goin on and this is the first I've delt with sick axolotls, help please!

Skudo09

Reaction score
Are you able to post some photos? It sounds like it might be worth a trip to a veterinarian.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!