Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

blackworms, bloodworms, etc. (in CC amphib glossary)

fishkeeper

Reaction score
blackworms: small freshwater worms, usually of the species Lumbriculus variegatus. Excellent food for many salamanders, especially larval and aquatic forms.

bloodworm: Larval form of a midge, so they are really insects, not worms. Usually sold frozen, but available live in some places. Noted for their bright red color. Some pet shops use the word "bloodworm" incorrectly to refer to [blackworms].

chironomid: see [bloodworm].

waxworm: Larvae of the greater waxmoth, which is a parasite of beehives. Known for their high fat content, but a favorite food of some salamanders.

tubifex: small red freshwater worms, aka. sludge worms. Usually sold as dry cubes, but available live in some parts of the world. Notorious for often being raised in polluted water.

earthworms/nightcrawler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nightcrawler: a large form of earthworm, Lumbricus terrestris.

I don't think we need to define earthworm - unless I'm seriously overestimating the common sense of our readers!

I'll make a few minor edits to Joseph's definitions and declare this finished, unless anyone has anything else to add.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!