Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs?

End

Reaction score
Hi,
this morning i was cleaning removing uneaten food ect from the earthworms tub and i saw more than 30/40 little "spheric" things , i have zero experience on culturing worms so i dont know what they are , i hope for eggs because i really need little sized earthworms for various newts. Anyway i've made some pics
eggs?
002-3.jpg

005-2.jpg

I have a question:
if these are eggs is better to separate them from adults worms or just leave everythings on the worm tub?

thanks in advance
Luca

Last edited:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
They are worm eggs, well they are what I assume are worm eggs! I find them in my wormery sometimes I once squashed one to see what it was and it was liquidy inside. I know my worms breed as I have loads of baby worms, they are greta for feeding larvae, though a pain to harvest. If you put in food like carrot the baby worms sometimes all congregate round the food making it a little easier to find them! You must have happy worms! Congratulations!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, they are "eggs". They are in fact a coccoon made out of the clitelum, but yes, it contains an egg or several eggs depending on the species.

End

Reaction score
ahh thats great, thanks for the help . I hope they start to produce many worms , using my own food for feeding my newts would be awesome.

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
I just started a worm farm in the hopes that i might have a source over the winter. I dont trust bait shop worms so I thought i would try farming them. Its cool to see your success luca. My newts love earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1