Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma andersoni

jelkins

Reaction score
Is there a care sheet available specifically for this species? I've kept axolotls for years and imagine A. andersoni are probably similar in regards to their needs, but I'm still interested in reading up on the specifics for this species.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know of any caresheet specific to A. andersoni. As you guessed, their needs are basically the same as axolotls. I kept some for a few months, and I didn't notice anything different than axies.

Is there anyone out there with experience who would care to write or contribute to a caresheet?

jelkins

Reaction score
What about the general size of this species? And are the captive individuals typically offered similar in size to those reported for wild individuals?

NewtZoo

Reaction score
We keep ours the same as axolotls and we have about 60. They appear to get about the same size and feed the same. They are the closest cladistic relative to axolotls and Im not sure they are to far separated. I would say fallow the axolotl protocol. Shrom keeps tons of them and he was our source.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Does anyone in the uk keep/breed andersoni ? i have never seen them, though they may wrongly be advertised as mexicanum.

xxianxx

Reaction score
yes meeeee.

Have you managed to breed them? If so i will be your very best mate , honest i will, if you can supply me some eggs and by the way your post came across as a bit too gloaty lol. Where did you aquire them from? where they adults or spawn?

Lizamphid

Reaction score
lol.. they were only a few weeks old when i brought them over from Germany, i did have 5 but 3 died < which im affaird to say was my fault> but lesson learnt, and i seem to have a pair now and growing like mad, so fingers crossed.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Were they related ? Have you noticed any difference with them ,growth rate , behaviour etc to the A.mexicanum?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I got mine from Mike Shromm also. I keep mine exactly like I do my axolotls. They are are more sensitive to water conditions and temps than Axies. So I make sure I do my water changes on time and keep them cool. I have read some people talking about not feeding them worms that this can make them morph. I'm not so sure about that because I feed mine worms all the time and have not seen any signs of morphing. Some people feed them peices of fresh trout because of this. I hand feed mine crickets, worms, and catfish slivers. I actually fed them thawed pinkies yesterday. This is only a once every 3 months treat for them. So everyone can calm down about me making them obese. I think they are much more interactive than Axies with their owners. Mine are huge beggars.

Lizamphid

Reaction score
Were they related ? Have you noticed any difference with them ,growth rate , behaviour etc to the A.mexicanum?

I dont know if there related but a guess they could well be. i dont keep Mexicanum so i would'nt know any difference. but i have found out that water quality is important, i only use bottle water i cant risk old rain water or any tap water treatment products. they mainly feed on earthworms and the odd waxworm moth.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!