Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Melanistic A. maculatum?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
So I was out herping a few weeks back and came across this unusual fellow. Pictures really don't do it justice as it has an even more purple coloration in person. I have seen literally thousands of spotted salamanders in the wild and this is the first one I have ever came across that looks anything remotely like this.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• spotted sal.jpg
    spotted sal.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 5,141

RADDC

Reaction score
It very well could be a "spotless" spotted salamander. We actually have a population of this variation about 20 miles south of DC!

josh1990

Reaction score
That is an amazing animal. I, like you, have seen many spotteds in my life; but none like that!
What a A. maculatum!:eek:

Infamous82

Reaction score
Yep, see the rare spotless spotted every now and again, and have heard of spotless populations. I'm not sure if it's just a pattern aberrancy or if its a recessive trait though.

Willlis

Reaction score
Sure it's not a hybrid? Those ambystoma sure do like to hybridize. Gotta love kleptogenesis :D Either way looks pretty cool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!