Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quick question

velasco13000

Reaction score
I have been looking on kingsnake and purchased some yangi but today I noticed some tylototriton kweichowensis...what are the difference between these two? Any advice on purchasing these guys ?

otolith

Reaction score
I believe yangi is a fairly recent taxonomic revision and that they were previously referred to as Tylototriton cf. kweichowensis. T. kweichowensis is a similar but separate species, I believe they are primarily terrestrial outside of breeding. I am sure others on the board can weigh in on this, I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about Tylototriton/Echinotriton species but remember reading about the name change recently.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Everything in the trade is T.yangi right now, apart from some Yaotriton and CB stuff, and they're all coming from the same importer as far as I can tell. One reseller changed the name on his stock after I informed him of the correct identity.

T.yangi handles cold very well, but not heat. It's geographically quite disjunct from known T.kweichowensis populations and closer to T.pulcherrima and T.shanjing. The most obvious characteristics are the mainly black head [orange in T.shanjing and T.pulcherrima] and distinct red-orange costal warts [usually forming stripes in T.kweichowensis].

Occasional specimens of T.yangi resemble T.kweichowensis and vice versa, but can be identified by what the majority of a shipment looks like. Plus, T.kweichowensis sells for more than twice as much [when it really IS T.kweichowensis].

velasco13000

Reaction score
Ahhhh, yeah the very first day that I saw the add for the yangi that I bought they were named diffrently..then the next day the name changed so Im pretty sure that hes the guy that you are talking about...this new guy on kingsnake has these new newts..im just trying to figure out if they are the same or diffrent species because i was thinking of buying some more...

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
The name change is merely something that is still premature, at the end of the day only a FEW people have got the untranslated copy of the Classification journal which is still not read by a majority of people yet is widely accepted? How does that make sense using information of something that no one has read? lol

I am happy for the change when there is one but until people have seen the evidence and have read it (Doesn't it have to be resubmitted?) I think it needs to remain T.cf.kweichowensis...

But anyway the differences are pretty obvious between the two separate species :) and like Frogeyes said They should be way more expensive considering they are one of the most sort after species within the Tylototriton genus.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Ahhhh, yeah the very first day that I saw the add for the yangi that I bought they were named diffrently..then the next day the name changed so Im pretty sure that hes the guy that you are talking about...this new guy on kingsnake has these new newts..im just trying to figure out if they are the same or diffrent species because i was thinking of buying some more...
It's the same species from the same source. He has photos posted which make it clear.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
The name change is merely something that is still premature, at the end of the day only a FEW people have got the untranslated copy of the Classification journal which is still not read by a majority of people yet is widely accepted?
Well first, it's not a name change. This morphology was not previously included in the variation or the range of T.kweichowensis, and when it appeared it was widely treated as an undescribed species. As such, the first valid name applied to it is the most appropriate, until and unless proven otherwise. Since there is no evidence to the contrary, the only appropriate name is T.yangi.

I would agree that some of these descriptions are a royal pain, being published in obscure, expensive, or otherwise difficult to read works, but if properly published in any language, they're valid. God knows when I'll be able to evaluate the cases for Hypselotriton orientalis qianshan, Qiantriton, or Liangshantriton [which I know has no diagnosis, although technically none is required beyond inclusion of a type species].

How does that make sense using information of something that no one has read? lol
I have the original paper with English summary as well as an English language paper on the new species. In addition, I have considered this to be a distinct species since I first saw them several years ago. I am using information *I* have read or observed myself.

Plus, you don't really need to read it yourself. If you accept in the first place that they ARE different, then all you really need to know is that the unnamed one was formally described and named.

I am happy for the change when there is one but until people have seen the evidence and have read it (Doesn't it have to be resubmitted?) I think it needs to remain T.cf.kweichowensis...
No, and no.
Why should anything be resubmitted? A species description in Chinese is as valid as one in English or any other language. The first validly published name accompanied by a formal description which specifically proposes a new name and provides distinguishing features, is the one which applies forever. "T.cf.kweichowensis" is not a formal name, just a shorthand to indicate that an organism is only tentatively included in a certain species. Once a description and name are applied, there is no longer anything tentative about it - you either accept it as T.yangi, or you provide evidence and make a case that it is fully part of another pre-existing name [such as T.kweichowensis, minus "cf". There is no evidence of continuity between these two taxa, while on the contrary there are genetic, morphological, and geographical data which easily allow them to be identified separately. That is, at the moment, the only evidence available is that they are two separate species.

But anyway the differences are pretty obvious between the two separate species :)
Exactly - and if you accept that they ARE two separate species, then you are constrained to using the first and only names applied to each, rather than treating them as if they have not been formally described.

and like Frogeyes said They should be way more expensive considering they are one of the most sort after species within the Tylototriton genus.
Yep. Any time I have seen true specimens from Quizhou/NE Yunnan, they've been more like $100 from the importer, rather than $20

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Well first, it's not a name change. This morphology was not previously included in the variation or the range of T.kweichowensis, and when it appeared it was widely treated as an undescribed species. As such, the first valid name applied to it is the most appropriate, until and unless proven otherwise. Since there is no evidence to the contrary, the only appropriate name is T.yangi.

Technically it IS a name change as people have been calling them "T.cf.kweichowensis" for years now (I know what "cf" stands for, like you explained down below but it's a (Vague, I know) name that was and has been known by), you even proposed that they should be named "T.liangshanensis" I believe as a temporary measure? lol
But there is NO evidence to suggest T.yangi should be used, you have failed to pass on any information that apparently you have, as you said below "I have the original paper with English summary as well as an English language paper on the new species." If you do, would I please be able to view this and share this paper so I and others can see the information for ourselves rather than taking yours (and other people's) word for it?

I would agree that some of these descriptions are a royal pain, being published in obscure, expensive, or otherwise difficult to read works, but if properly published in any language, they're valid. God knows when I'll be able to evaluate the cases for Hypselotriton orientalis qianshan, Qiantriton, or Liangshantriton [which I know has no diagnosis, although technically none is required beyond inclusion of a type species].

That's fair enough, I can understand that, However I haven't said anywhere that they aren't valid have I, merely that no one other than you (that I know of), currently has read this paper. Why does everyone just have to simply follow it blindly, which let's be honest they are as no one here probably has read this, hence the reason behind this thread.

I would be interested in finding out the above to so please let us know when you are able to evaluate them :)

I have the original paper with English summary as well as an English language paper on the new species. In addition, I have considered this to be a distinct species since I first saw them several years ago. I am using information *I* have read or observed myself.

Like I have said above, if you have them then please share them, I have been looking for them for a long time and can't seem to find them myself... And in all honesty they look barely anything like T.kweichowensis, you can see that without looking at data that they are something else, but before the T.yangi paper was released there were several theories as to what they were, some people even said that they could of been Hybrid species.
If you are using information that *you* have read or observed yourself, I yet again ask why you haven't shared the actual paper for everyone that wants to know about this species wants to read? I even asked you to share the paper on the T.ziegleri species but you never bothered to reply to that either, Serge kindly passed the information on to me which I was incredibly grateful for lol

I quote you from the original thread by DrWill that you said " the entire article is in Chinese and lacks illustrations. There is virtually no usable data if you don't read Chinese." So where is this English paper you said you have on the new species because you also said "I have some ideas to make the information more accessible in the west, which I am presenting to Mian." Which you clearly haven't as no one really seems to have it?

Plus, you don't really need to read it yourself. If you accept in the first place that they ARE different, then all you really need to know is that the unnamed one was formally described and named.

Ummm how do you work that one out, I don't doubt that they are a new species but I doubt what you and other people seem to know about them from the papers in question until I have Read this myself. I want to read it and would enjoy reading it so I can see the information first hand with my own two eyes and not yours or anyone else.
Doe that mean I accept or Don't accept the naming? No it says that I would like to read it to find out for myself instead of hear it second hand from you who seems to have the papers but won't pass them on by either posting them on here or any other way.

No, and no.
Why should anything be resubmitted? A species description in Chinese is as valid as one in English or any other language.

Excuse me but did I say that it wasn't valid because of the language it was in? No I didn't so how did you come up with that conclusion? You said, and I quote "I know that Hou Mian submitted a description for T.cf.kweichowensis, which was returned pending more comparative data." That means from what I make of it, that it was returned to Hou Mian?

Exactly - and if you accept that they ARE two separate species, then you are constrained to using the first and only names applied to each, rather than treating them as if they have not been formally described.

So what if I accept they are, I still want to see this evidence (I have repeatedly asked for this now) to prove this, I would rather treat them as an unsubscribed species than name them something that I have not read about. What's the problem with that?

Yep. Any time I have seen true specimens from Quizhou/NE Yunnan, they've been more like $100 from the importer, rather than $20

Yeah I highly agree with you, the true species of T.kweichowensis are normally priced around about £80 in the UK and roughly that at the Hamm shows. I saw the "T.yangi" species for roughly 20 euros lol

If you'd like a copy of Mian's paper, let me know. Maybe you know someone who can read it ;)

Also I completely forgot about this, which I did take as an insult at the time and forgot to reply about it. So, I shall do now for you;

Yes, I would like the Chinese or English copy please, if it's in Chinese then not a problem because I have one or two friends that are Chinese and would happily translate it for me. So yes, please ;)

velasco13000

Reaction score
So....let me get this straight. I bought a few from some guy from blue pumilio saying that they were yangi but in the email said they were tylototriton sp. Aff. Kweichowensis...said they were semi aquatic...another guy on king snake is also selling kweichowensis but says they bare fully terrestrial...I'm wondering if they are the same species or diffrent because im thinking they are both diffrent and am thinking of buying both but don't want to waste so much money if they are the exact same species...

velasco13000

Reaction score
currently on kingsnake there are two people selling these newts...one says they are emperor newts and the other is naming them KWEICHOW NEWTS...are these the same??? you guys can look at their pictures also...

FrogEyes

Reaction score
They are all T.yangi, from the same source. T.kweichowensis has solid stripes from fused costal warts, and a mainly black head. T.yangi his distinct costal warts which rarely form stripes, and a black head. T.shanjing, T.cf.shanjing, T.pulcherrima, and T.pseudoverrucosus have more or less orange heads.

T.yangi is mainly terrestrial, but if you have a bunch of them, a few may choose to spend most of their time in the water. By comparison, barred tiger salamanders take to water in spring to breed, but someone remain in the water all summer because there is so much more prey in the water than they can find out of the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1