Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Best Caudata Photos of 2016

sde

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

It has been a while since i've posted on here, but i thought i'd drop in to show you some of my favorite Caudata photos from this year. Some of these are wild Caudatas, some are my own.
I know its a lot of pictures (21 to be exact) but i couldn't manage to narrow down my favorites any further :p

By the way, i have a photography page on Facebook! Seth D. Erickson Photography is its name, heres a link to it: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=794805747315021&fref=ts
I also have a Flickr account you can follow; https://www.flickr.com/photos/137665678@N04
You can follow either or both of these and see my newest photos when i upload them, usually every other day for Facebook and once a week or so for Flickr

And without further ado, here are my personal favorites from this year, in no particular order, starting off with....

A wild juvenile Oregon Ensatina salamander, Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis.
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40016-juvenile-ensatina-e-oregonensis.jpg

Here is a wild larval Coastal Giant salamander, Dicamptodon tenebrosus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40023-larval-dicamptodon-tenebrosus.jpg

Wild adult female Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40021-adult-female-ambystoma-gracile.jpg

Wild juvenile Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile. This individual was super dark, probably the darkest i've seen
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40022-juvenile-ambystoma-gracile.jpg

My adult female Tiannan Crocodile newt, Tylototriton yangi, looking very fat as usual
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40019-adult-female-tylototriton-yangi.jpg

Wild juvenile Western Redback salamander, Plethodon vehiculum
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40020-juvenile-plethodon-vehiculum.jpg

My adult male Tiannan Crocodile newt, Tylototriton yangi
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40017-adult-male-tylototriton-yangi.jpg

Wild adult female Rough Skinned newt, Taricha granulosa
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40018-adult-female-taricha-granulosa.jpg

Wild subadult Oregon Ensatina salamander, Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40015-subadult-ensatina-e-oregonensis.jpg

Wild subadult Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40013-subadult-male-ambystoma-gracile.jpg

Wild juvenile Oregon Ensatina salamanader, Ensatina eschscholtzii oregonensis, same one as in the first photo
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40014-juvenile-enstaina-e-oregonensis.jpg

Wild larva Coastal Giant salamander, Dicamptodon tenebrosus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40012-larval-dicamptodon-tenebrosus.jpg

Wild adult female Long Toed salamander, Ambystoma macrodactylum macrodactylum, and a pretty large one at that!
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40011-large-adult-female-ambystoma-m-macrodactylum.jpg

My adult female Rough Skinned newt, Taricha granulosa. I have high hopes for this spring, its my dream to breed these guys
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture40009-my-adult-female-taricha-granulosa.jpg

Wild newly metamorphosed Rough Skinned newt, Taricha granulosa, the first one i found this year
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39721-first-taricha-granulosa-morph-found-year.jpg

My adult (female i believe) Mole salamander, Ambystoma talpoideum (you probably recognize this one haha)
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39717-subadult-ambystoma-talpoideum-best-shot-my-life-far.jpg

My adult female Rough Skinned newt again :p
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39709-adult-female-taricha-granulosa-asking-some-food-really-love-having-taricha-again-such-amazing-animals-full-personality.jpg

Wild larval Coastal Giant salamander, Dicamptodon tenebrosus
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39707-larva-dicamptodon-tenebrosus.jpg

Wild adult female Northwestern salamander, Ambystoma gracile
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture39702-adult-female-ambystoma-gracile-one-my-best-photos-so-far-year-definitely-my-best-species-edit-not-anymore.jpg

My (smaller) female Tiannan Crocodile newt, Tylototriton yangi
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture38413-female-tylototriton-yangi.jpg

I don't like this one as much as i did earlier in the year...but what the heck why not. Two wild adult female Rough Skinned newts, Taricha granulosa
sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture38303-two-adult-female-taricha-granulosa-very-happy-shot-first-several-nice-shots-taricha-granulosa.jpg

And that's it! Took me about 30 minutes to make this but it was worth it.
This community is awesome, from here i learned not only how to properly keep Caudates but also gained tips on photography and herping, and have gained many awesome friends, so i figure i ought to come back and post every once in a while.

Hope you enjoyed my photos and Happy New Year to everyone!
-Seth

juraj

Reaction score
Perfect ! Keep it up man !
A little of criticism anyway : photo 9 f-number too low, photo 10 f-number too high
(according to my sense, no idea what would experts say)
good job

j.

sde

Reaction score
Perfect ! Keep it up man !
A little of criticism anyway : photo 9 f-number too low, photo 10 f-number too high
(according to my sense, no idea what would experts say)
good job

j.

Thank you Juraj! Yes 9 is a bit too low, but with 10 its actually lower than i wanted. The goal in that photo was to show the animals habitat in the background clearly, but it is not clear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1