Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Morphing questions

ekocak

Reaction score
Hello!
I've kept ambystomatids for many years, and a few Necturus but this is my first foray into eurasian newts. In January I received some T. dobrogicus dobrogicus eggs from Michael Shrom. I've kept them in a well planted tank and experimented with feeding them both daphnia and bbs. Anyways, theyre now almost all sporting all 4 legs. I've separated the largest six into a new tank with some lowered water level, and a haul out area. One or two of them seem to have reduction in gill size, and one of them has the biggest gills I have ever seen. Seriously, theyre like 2x the height of the larva. I'll post a pic later. Is it too early to expect morphing? Some of what I've read on here seems to suggest it's around 6 months? What should I look out for? How deep is too deep? When should I move them completely to full terrestrial? When should I consider moving them back? Thanks, and thanks for your patience with me.

EDIT: Here is Newtzilla
C90oGmjXkAAOrYP.jpg-large.jpeg

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!