Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My apuanus finally ready to breed???

andrew

Reaction score
Well i have a colony of 4 m. a. apuanus that are about 2 years old now. Last spring, the males went into breeding condition but the females showed no real interest and no breeding took place. This year it is looking a little different. Here is the first female, by far the "biggest" in the belly.
Have a look:
78222.jpg

78223.jpg

And here is the second female, not quite as big, but still looks like she is holding some eggs.. Not the best shot either, the only one i could get that really showed her belly
78224.jpg

And of course, some of the always ready, males:
78225.jpg

I am assuming that the females are pregnant, but please give me a second opinion or just some observations!

Thanks,
Andrew

andrew

Reaction score
And heres another pic of the first, bigger female that i thought was just a nice shot =)
78228.jpg

(Message edited by andrew_taricha on February 12, 2007)

J

jennifer

Yes, they sure do look gravid! I would be surprised if you don't get some eggs this year.

A

alan

Looking good. What temperature have they been kept at over the winter?

andrew

Reaction score
They were in an outside room, separate from my house since i moved them in there last summer.
So the water temp followed the natural temperatures here in Washington, and in early winter, have been ranging around 40-50F/4-10C. we had a few cold snaps where i had to be careful not to let the tank freeze over.
i brought them inside about 3 weeks ago and this is the result. GRAVID! They are kept upstairs in my old, remodeled house which has no real insulation and is way too cold for me. But the newts like it. they are now usually around 62F/17C
Andrew

andrew

Reaction score
Well i thought you would all like to know, not 2 days after starting this post, my gravid female started laying eggs! She has been laying for just more than a day now and has laid about 15.. and shes not looking ready to stop anytime soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1