Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Marmoratus

andrew

Reaction score
I am planning on breeding my marmoratus next year and i was wondering a couple things. First of all this will be their first breeding season. They are 14 months old and are 4-5 inches. My marmoratus are fully aquatic now and i was wondering if it is easier to take them out and put them in a cooled, terrestrial setup for a few months and then place them in the water? Or is just as succesful to drop the water temperatures in the tank and keep them aquatic, then after a few months raise the temperatures to simulate spring?

Thanks,
Andrew Majeske

(Message edited by Andrew_Taricha on March 27, 2005)

R

rubén

In my opinion, for the all the eurasian newts it's good an small period of terrestrial life, at summer if the temperatures are too high or winter if are cooler... then the preferences of marmoratus are quite different according to the region.

But, for us newt keepers, is easier feed and breed in aquatic phase so... your newts must choose, but if they seems to be fine fully aquatic, keep the aquatic setup.

D

david

When given the option, mine mostly stay aquatic anyways and I'm getting eggs and babies from last years larvae. After they morphed, I initially kept them on land until they go to about 3 inches and then put them in a half and half.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1