Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Distinguishing different cresteds

A

aaron

I've recently aquired 12 crested newts. They are not in breeding dress and they aren't karelinii. I know that they can be cristatus, carnifex, or dobrogicus. They are from Ukraine. What i'm looking for is a way to distinguish the different types outside of the breeding season. Thanks,

~Aaron

K

kai

Hi Aaron,

Well, I guess they are most likely T. cristatus.

T. dobrogicus is pretty unlikely and you can't mistake them for anything else because they are _really_ slender...

Without first-hand experience with all taxa, a scientific indentification isn't possible, especially with few live specimens. However, have a look at the nice pics from the following paper which may help you to try some educated guesses...
Arntzen, J. W. & G. P. Wallis. 1999. Geographic variation and taxonomy of crested newts (Triturus cristatus superspecies): morphological and mitochondrial DNA data. Contributions to Zoology, 68 (3): 181-203.
(This paper was available online but the old URL doesn't work - I'll check it out and post it ASAP.)

Best wishes,
kai

caleb

Reaction score
Hi.

If they're really from the Ukraine, then they are
either karelinii (which you've dismissed), cristatus or dobrogicus. dobrogicus has a very limited range in the Ukraine (see my map at
http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~caleb/tricri.html),
so it's most likely to be cristatus.

cristatus and karelinii are often exported from the Ukraine, but I've never heard of dobrogicus being exported.

karelinii usually have yellow/orange and black throats, carnifex and cristatus have black with white speckling. carnifex females almost always have a yellow stripe along the back, males sometimes do. In terms of bulkiness, karelinii>cristatus>carnifex>dobrogicus.

Hope that helps

A

admin

I must apologise Caleb - your link submission slipped through the cracks. I have now added it.

A

aaron

I'm sure they aren't karelinii because I already have a pair of them, and they are nothing alike. These new cresteds are a very dark greyish brown with black spots(spots are similar to karelinii) and they have the white flecks of color on the lower regions. They have school-bus yellow colored bellies with black spots.

~Aaron

A

aaron

Kai, I was just wondering if you ever found that link. Thanks,

~Aaron

K

kai

Sorry, forgwet about it. I'll try next week - please remind me if necessary.

happy.gif

kai

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1