A. mabeei habitat requirements

K

k.

Sorry I have not posted here in a while, but I am now calling upon your expertise.

I will be doing a habitat assessment for Mabee's salamanders and I am trying to dig up some detailed information other than what is in Petranka's book. Unfortunately most of the literature I have found focuses on their breeding requirements, but I will be evaluating upland habitat. If anybody knows, or can point me towards literature, that can tell me about any associations with plants and soils would be great. In addition, I am looking for any information regarding their typical distance from the breeding sites when they are not breeding.

I don't expect too much information available specific to Mabee's salamanders, so any general information about Ambystomas in general regarding their upland movements would be fine. Has there been any standardized protected buffer areas around breeding sites for Ambystomas? Any information specifically relating to Virginia would be a big help!

Mike,
I greatly appreciate the information you gave me, it has indeed been helpful! Especially the pool size, plant associations, and the area in which you actually found them. The buffer size you mentioned is similar to the size in which I have to consider. Thanks again for the detailed reply, I will be printing it out and studying it!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back