Question: Axolotl eggs hatched in post! Help!!

Lots of light, appropriate food, room temperature, and wide, shallow tubs will give you the best daphnia production.

So are daphnia or BBS better? Hopefully I should have both if the BBS hatch ok. Or is a varied diet with a combination of daphnia, BBS and microworms best?

A varied diet is best. But which feeder is 'better' is relative. I like daphnia, personally, but some people swear by BBS. Microworms won't be a viable option for very long.

All ten babies still doing well! Still no sign of life from either of the BBS hatcheries and the microworm culture still isn't ready so thank goodness I was able to get hold of some daphnia!

I am using one of these with the premixed Sera artemia eggs

Aquatics Online UK - Tropical aquarium accessories pond equipment and pumps - Add Hobby Brine Shrimp Hatcher to basket

and the Waterlife Artemia Shelless (hatchable ones) in a home made set up in a large plastic lidded jug with an air line and a desk lamp shining on it.

Both set up on Thursday. I am wondering if the lack of constant heat may be slowing things down as I don't have my central heating on 24/7....

Oh and out of interest, their parents are apparently both leucisitic but the babies look like wild type- dark and light. Can leucistic parents produce wild type or is this normal colouration for leucistic babies?

Leucistic parents will produce only light offspring (leucistic, and albino if both parents are carriers). They'll get lighter as they grow.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back