Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

MY MUDPUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryan

Reaction score
Here he or she is I finally got him or her. I named him or her Bart. Im so happy.
77863.jpg

D

dane

looks great! how long is it? do the gills look a little small to anyone else? it might just be the mudpuppy, they might grow in

you should get some more flat rocks to stack with hiding places

ryan

Reaction score
Yeah the gills are small, its because they were in well oxygenated water, smaller is better i guess. Its about 9 inches, i will probably get some more hiding spaces.

M

morrissey

Ah! Cool! I had never seen a mudpuppy in real life! I wish I can oneday!
Ah...I always confuse about the oxygenated water, actually what kinds of water is oxygenated? Is it working to put a air plug or something? My axies all got very huge gills...they rarely swim up to the water surface to breath anyway, is that meant the water is oxygenated water too?

B

benjamin

Oxygen content in the water is affected by a variety of factors. The colder the water is, generally, the higher concentration of oxygen it has. Also, current and airstones increase oxygen content.

ryan

Reaction score
Ben- Yeah I have a powerful current and the water is very cold.

Peter- I'm going to feed it black worms and earthworms. Maybe the occasional crayfish when it gets bigger.

ryan

Reaction score
Oh yah and my mudpuppy relaxes his gills and then pulls them to his body, relaxes and pulls, relaxes and pulls you get the point. Thats him taking in o2 right? Not a problem? Do axolotls do the same?

D

dawn

HI Ryan!
Bart is much cuter than I thought s/he would be.
The pictures make it look two feet long! Or maybe I just feel small today. I'm happy for you!

M

michelle

Hi,
Your long wait definatly paid off! Thanks for sharing the picture I have never seen a Mudpuppy but it looks like an incredible creature. How long is it? It's nice to see a picture of that tank with finally something in it. Please keep us posted (with pictures of course) of how Bart is settling in & if it is male or female. Are you really going to call it Bart if it is a female?
smile6.gif

ryan

Reaction score
Michelle- Its about 9 inches it will always be Bart

John- Necturus maculosus (possibly N. louisianensis but I doubt it)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1