Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I think my axolotl may be sick. Please help.

keiko

Reaction score
The tank is ok for two axies, but you could put in more water. If you don't have a lid on the tank, don't fill it all the way up (a few inches short is good). When there's more water it's easier to keep the water parameters stable.

I don't need to use water conditioner, so maybe someone else can help you with that.

jo73

Reaction score
Hi Keiko. My water level is 10 inch, the axies are about 6 inch. Will they be ok if I up the water to the limit of the tank....tank is 18, so about another 6 inch?

ChristineB

Reaction score
The tank sounds like a good size, not too small. But yes, fill it all the way and add the 4 drops per 3.8L. Once you are fully removing ammonia from the chloramine, and fill the tank all the way, you will need smaller and fewer water changes. Keep in mind having nearly twice the water volume will halve your ammonia readings -- they produce the same amount of waste so the more you dilute it with high water volume, the better. Also, the beneficial bacteria live on the sides of the tank, but only underwater. So deeper tanks actually hold a cycle better for that reason, as well.

jo73

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've now more or less filled my tank but I think I might have another problem. I've just read that my filter is only for a 100 litre tank. When I bought it the pet shop told me it would be ok because axies don't like powerful waterflow and also because my water level was only half way at the time, (they told me that I would never need to fill the tank). I think the water volume is now at least round the 100 litre mark. Do I need to buy a new filter? The sponge from the filter in the tank (aqua 100) fits into the next size filter (aqua 200), so if I just put the old sponge into the new filter will it effect my cycle.

ChristineB

Reaction score
No, lots of people use filters at the upper range of their capacity, I wouldn't worry unless you had like double the volume it's intended for. At least give it a month or two and don't waste your money unless this filter really isn't keeping the water clear.

You're obviously very conscientious about your pets, but I think you may be stressing yourself too much! Just check ammonia every other day, do a 25% water change if it's under 0.5ppm, otherwise whatever gets it down to .5 as Keiko suggested (50% change if it's at 1.0, etc). Your numbers don't seem that high so just chalk up weird behavior to axies being weird, and enjoy your pets without so much worry. :)

jo73

Reaction score
Haha that's what everybody says I'm like with my dogs. Thank you, I will try to chill.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1