Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Eggs

Chlobieo

Reaction score
Hi! I am new here but excited to see all the posts and the information

I have two axolotl's- a male (Kirby 2 years old) and a Female (Pip 1 1/2 years old). Kirby is a pink lucy and Pip is a wild type. They have had eggs twice this breeding season. The first time in October- I tried to get a grouping of 30 to survive and only got to a few weeks but ended up losing the entire clutch. This time she laid around 600 eggs :eek: and I know I cannot possibly take care of or even get that many babies to survive.

I am looking to sell the eggs before they hatch. I can ship to any legal states in the continental US and would love if someone more experienced with eggs took them. The cost I usually see being asked is 25 cents an egg plus shipping but I am flexible.

If anyone is interested let me know! I would happily share some photos or videos but am not sure if I did it correctly on the site. Hopefully you can see what I tried to attach.

Attachments

• IMG_8070.jpg
    IMG_8070.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 262
  • kirby.jpg
    kirby.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 221

lissalana

Reaction score
This is an amazing site full of wonderful people and amazing info. Usually people will not place eggs in their new home (shipping) until they begin beaning. That way they know the eggs are viable eggs that they are rehoming. Do not refrigerate to slow down the process until you find new homes. I have seen this done and most of the eggs are not viable. I hope this has helped some.

SomersetAxolotl

Reaction score
Beautiful axolotls - I’m staggered you had such a large second clutch. My axolotls just had their first spawn at 11 months and I’m now (justifiably) concerned that there might be another...-! Glad you found a home for them ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1