C. e. popei colors fading with time

I

ira

Hi,

I've been noticing that my C.e.p have been losing alot of their color as they get older, their orange stripes and gold flecks fading.

I remember tim talking about noticing this too a few years ago and thinking it may be related UV or full spectrum light exposure. Have there been tests done of this by anyone since i stopped posting a few years back? I am getting ready to fire up a 55w full spectrum power compact fixture over my newt tank so that i could replant it with something nicer than anarcharis.(dont worry, i have it vented so the heat goes up, not down into the tank).

Anyone interested photodocumentation of this, if it effects their color.

I think in a few months i may try gut loading earthworms with vitarose (a tropical fish color supplement i have heard of dart frog breeders using to improve red/orange color in animals) to see if that brings their stripes back, if they better lighting dosn't help color them up.

Any input in to this issue would be appreciated.

I don't have much input - I remember Tim posting a photo showing the fading of a gold spot on a popei after it was brought into captivity. I look forward to the results of your experiments. I'd certainly like to see any photos you can get of any changes.

My issue with the color of my C.e.p. right now is that a couple of them have become very gray, one male in particular. They didn't do this last year, so I wonder what's up. I thought it might go away after a shed, but seems to be staying that way.

Here's a photo of my gray-colored male. I would say the gold spots on most of my animals have also faded in the past year. The tank doesn't have much lighting, and most of what it has is blocked by islands.

77169.jpg

thats weird. i took some pictures of my newts last night, i will post them some in the next few days. I'm really not expecting to see anything for several weeks, but i did notice the gold flecks on one of the newts looked brighter under the new lights.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back